Overall Race Assessment: 5:03 | 21st AG | Good
- Started on the right outside area and managed the first few hundred yards. Felt great on the swim and thought about overly sighting and never went more that 8-10 stroke w/o sighting and I think it paid off.
- Not a PR, but a very good swim
- Felt very strong on the bike, legs felt pretty loaded by the time I got to Snow Canyon and couldn’t keep a bigger gear.
- 20 mins faster than I did Wildflower last year
- Matt & Pauls tips about the course were spot on and riding the course a few days before was outstandingly useful. Had my power meter numbers up, but didn’t really look at them, just went off feel for the whole bike.
- Tough, tough, tough run. Tried to manage heat and put my best effort forward. Tried to keep the heat down by keeping ice in my left hand and dumping ice/water down the back of my suit. Walked through all the aidstaions to make sure I took on fuel and calories.
- Not my fastest run, but not my slowest.
- The last few miles although downhill, I had the legs to put some really good efforts in and even passed a few guys in my AG in the last mile. I would have liked to go faster, but didn’t really feel an area where I could have kicked it up a bit. Maybe charged some of the earlier downhills.
Nutrition: I felt like I was drowning myself w/ Osmo and water on the bike and run. Made it top of mind to take on calories bike and run.
I would say this race met or exceeded my expectations. I do want to get a WC roll down slot for 2016 (I realize I’m not going to podium at a WTC event), so this was a eye opener being 21st AG. Need to pick a race more suited to my strengths (which Im not even totally sure what they are) and/or get much faster on the run.